Diferencia entre in the end y at the end
La diferencia entre in the end y at the end es algo complicada. Voy a explicártela y verás como la entiendes perfectamente 🙂
In the end and at the end are different things, which normally confuse students.
- At the end (of something)
Some examples for yoy to understand it better.
- At the end of the film I couldn’t help crying.
- At the end of this street there is a big supermarket.
- At the end of the book the main character, Lisa, dies.
- At the end, the film was a bit boring.
As you can see, when we use at the end, we have a specific place/time. Sometimes we have the preposition of to indicate that place/time, but sometimes we don’t, although that place/time is implict, for example:
At the end, the film was boring = at the end of what? Of the film.
Some phrases with at the end:
– at the end of the earth: en los confines de la tierra, en el culo del mundo (colloquial)
– at the end of the day: al terminar el día (he arrived home at the end of the day) and al fin y al cabo (at the end of the day, there’s nothing we can do)
- In the end = finally (a modo de resumen de una idea)
- In the end 2,000 people attended the conference.
- In the end I learnt you have to work very hard to be successful.
In the end = finalmente, al final, en definitiva, a fin de cuentas
The same happens with at the beginning and in the beginning.
- In the beginning I couldn’t see my friend because there were many people there, but then I saw her.
- At the beginning of the new year, I will give up smoking, this is my new year’s resolution.
Si te ha gustado este post, no olvides hacer click en algunos de los iconos de abajo g + share, Me gusta o en Tweet para que todos tus amigos puedan verlo también. Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don’t (Bill Nye